Sunday, September 23, 2007

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless


Download
I've Been laying the Metal on pretty thick as of late so I thought I'd change it up a bit with this. I must confess that "Loveless" is as unique and original experience as it is hyped up to be. The easiest way to describe "loveless" to someone who hasn't heard it already is by comparing it to early Nine Inch Nails (Thought that the second I pressed play.), the song "Cupid De Locke" By The Smashing pumpkins (Came to that conclusion after listening to "To Here Knows When"). And Sigur Ros; mainly because of the soft, wispy vocals. Those were the first and only comparisons I've been able to draw up. "Lifeless" is heavy on the distortion, reeeal heavy on the distortion. This helps blur the albums tracks together and tie the whole album together as a composition. You'd think that excessive amounts of distortion would make for a grimy production value, and it kind of does....kind of. There's no denying that the sound quality sounds fuzzy and muffled, but honestly I wouldn't want "Loveless" to sound any other way, it really adds to the beauty of the album. Passages with Seemingly random notes blur together with main passages and merge with softly sung vocals to create a thick Serene layer of sound, one of which I have never heard the likes of before.

Genre: Shoegaze/ Noise pop

No comments: