Sunday, October 28, 2007

Meshuggah - Catch 33

Download

I couldn't wait to hear a new album from these guys since I first listened to the EP "I". In my opinion, Catch 33 is Meshuggah's best material to date; Its much more technical and less thrash metal orientated than their first few albums. Which usually would be a bad thing in my book, but its different here because Meshuggah have finally found their own completely unique sound.


Normally I really couldn't care less about technicality, but the musicianship on Catch 33 is jaw dropping. I often found myself wondering just how they produced a guitar tone here, or a bass line there. The drums are pretty amazing, but the guitars are where Meshuggah shines in my eyes. Upon first listen it sounds like they keep ripping out seemingly identical riffs over and over again, but upon closer examination, the riffs seem to be constantly flying all over the place; they sound different almost every time the band spews them out. The entire album is like perfectly contained chaos, never ending, but always changing.


Similar to the "I" EP, This album could be listened to and you'd hardly know that it wasn't one long track.(only difference between the two was that I actually was just one track.)But that being said, its not like they repeat themselves over and over throughout the album, it just sounds very reminiscent of previous tracks. Bringing out memories of just 15 minutes ago when you heard the first couple songs off the record. Catch 33 also has a more laid back aggression to it compared to “I”; which never lets up on pummeling drums and smothering riffs, while 33 is more about a consistent heavy vibe.


The production on Catch 33 is fantastic, In fact I can't see how it could sound any better; The guitars sound much heavier then they did on I, and no longer have the tinny ring that they did on Nothing. They end up sounding like a deeper, clearer, and heavier version of the guitar work on Chaosphere mixed with the varying rhythmic dynamics shown on Nothing .



Genre: Technical/Math Metal

No comments: